Friday, January 5, 2007

1L Grades

During this time of year, law school grades finally come down the pipeline. Some students will be pleasantly surprised. Other students will feel disappointed. Especially true at this time of year is the uncertainty that may be felt by 1Ls since they have so little to base these grades on while so much depends on these grades.


There are two competing thoughts on 1L grades. Some think 1L grades are the most important of a law student’s career since these grades help determine summer employment and possibly employment throughout one’s law career. Others think 1L grades are not as important as many people make them to be. Whatever the case is, I believe it is important not to turn bad 1L grades into a self-fulfilling prophecy of doom. Furthermore, I doubt there is a best way to approach such a situation, but what not to do is to give up. I’m not going to proselytize what makes a good lawyer, but I do know that no one can be a good lawyer if they give up so easily. For me, I plan to re-evaluate what happened in the first semester; what I did and did not do and what I can improve upon. I also plan to talk to my first semester professors and get their feedback.


Now, it’s time to practice what I preach and not turn my first semester experience into a self-fulfilling prophecy =)

No comments: