Friday, May 11, 2007

The Weight of the World is Off My Shoulders

Crim. Con. Torts. Done...almost. The hours and minutes leading up to my torts exam was like a rollercoaster ride, full of ups and downs. Amazingly, I felt very calm during my torts exam, which in hindsight may not be that great considering that everyone knows that the guy who came out of an exam thinking it wasn't too bad probably missed a couple of big issues. You know what, I probably did and interestingly enough I'm not too worried because I'm just glad I can see the finish line now.

However, in roughly two months time, I may need to pack up my bags. The subheading in my blog says "documenting development for hopefully the next three years". Hopefully I did not turn in a turd of an exam and torpedo any potential law career. I wouldn't be able to look in the mirror knowing I screwed up yet again.

Looking back at the past year, I can see that I've aged. I don't feel as spry as I used to. I smile less often. MY HAIR IS THINNER. The first day of law school was utterly bizarre and foreign. I did not understand many of the concepts nor the mannerisms, politics, and personalities that law school attracts. In fact, I still don't understand much. Maybe its the fact that I'm holed up in the library a lot now. I didn't do that my first semester and I found out that I study better while at the library. Or maybe its the work that one must do in order to just get an average grade in law school. Or maybe its because I don't really "know" any one person here while it seems as if many of my compatriots do at least "know" a few of their classmates. Whatever the case may be, I had some good times but I definitely also had a lot of bad times too.

I guess my first year can be summed up as bittersweet. It will be interesting what will be in store for me next year - assuming my grades get me through this first year. I really don't know what I want to do. I do have a few easily attainable goals for this summer though. 1) I want to get back in shape. 2) I want to reconnect with a few friends - the group of friends who I have known since elementary school. 3) This may be the most ambitious of my summer goals, but after a brief discussion with a study buddy of mine, I'd like to push my comfort zone out a bit more; step out of my bubble every once in a while; try not to seek comfort but to continually do...something. I'm not sure how successful I will be with this third goal, I've thought about similar things in the past but I never really pushed myself to step out of my bubble. At the very least, attempting to reach these goals will give me something to write about.

First year of law school? Au revoir.

No comments: